- Applicants must be negotiating a full-time group leader position at an institute/university in the Czech Republic, Estonia, Poland, Portugal, Lithuania, Montenegro or Turkey by the date of application
OR have established a laboratory in one of these countries in the last two years.
- They must have spent at least two consecutive years outside the country in which they are planning to establish their laboratory in the four years prior to application.
- They must have received their PhD less than nine years prior to application.
- For female candidates with children, nine years since PhD is automatically extended by one year per child.
- For male applicants with children, these limits can be extended by the actual time taken off as paternity leave or – if their partner is working at least 80% FTE (full-time equivalent) – three months per child, whichever is longer.
- Illness and extended military service are considered as exceptional circumstances on a case-by-case basis. Special provision may also be made for clinical scientists. If you feel your circumstances warrant an extension of the eligibility periods, please contact the EMBO Young Investigator Programme Office () for advice before applying.
- Applicants must be able to attend an interview in Heidelberg, Germany, on 8 November 2021.
For detailed information on the eligibility criteria, please consult the application guidelines (pdf).