The selection committee takes into account the application, interview report and host institute’s offer and will rank all applications based on the following criteria:
- Track record
- Proposed research
- Group and research environment
- Offer by the host institute
- Financial and intellectual independence.
For a detailed list of selection criteria, download the application guidelines.
The number of grants available each year is decided by the Strategic Installation Grant (SDIG) Board, which is made up of representatives from participating EMBC Members States. The evaluation and ranking of the applications for EMBO Installation Grants is done by the EMBO Young Investigator Committee.
The selection process involves the following steps:
- All applications are screened by the EMBO Office to ensure eligibility requirements are met.
- The EMBO Young Investigator Committee selects applicants for an interview with the EMBO Young Investigator Committee in Heidelberg or online on 8 November 2021.
- The files of the candidates selected for an interview are sent to an EMBO Member with expertise in the applicant’s research area for a confidential review.
- After the interview, the EMBO Young Investigator Committee ranks all applicants and makes a binding recommendation to the Strategic Development Installation Grants (SDIG) Board.
- Final decisions on the award of an Installation Grant are made by the SDIG Board at the end of November 2021. The decision is based on the ranking provided by the EMBO Young Investigator Committee and the number of grants available in each country.
- All applicants will be informed of the outcome of their application by email shortly after the board meeting (in December 2021).