EMBO is looking to fund meetings that facilitate the exchange of top-level science. In addition, the following aspects are considered by the EMBO Course Committee:
- The programme should cover interesting and original topics or a combination of topics in breadth and depth.
- The selected speakers should fully cover the proposed topic.
- At least 50% of the invited speakers should be based in EMBC Member States or in EMBC Associate Member States or in countries and territories covered by a cooperation agreement. Significant biases from certain states should be avoided.
- Meetings held outside the European EMBC Member States should have at least 33% speakers based in Europe.
- There should be a balance between leading researchers in the field and early-career researchers as speakers.
- Neither men nor women should represent more than 60% of the speakers and there should be a geographic balance.
- Speakers should be mostly confirmed at the time of the application.
- Sufficient time should be dedicated to poster sessions and informal interactions.
- The group of organizers must be scientifically, geographically and gender diverse.
- The location must be suitable for the planned meeting.
For a detailed list of selection criteria please refer to the application guidelines.
- All applications are screened by the EMBO Courses & Workshops Office to ensure eligibility requirements are met.
- Each application is assigned to and reviewed in depth by at least two members of the EMBO Course Committee.
- The final decision on which proposals receive funding is made by the entire committee at meetings in May and October. The success rate of applications is approximately 50%.
- All applicants are informed of the outcome of their application by email shortly after the committee meeting.