EMBO is looking to fund meetings that facilitate the exchange of top-level science. In addition, the following aspects are considered by the EMBO Course Committee:
- The programme should cover interesting and original topics or a combination of topics in breadth and depth.
- Organizers are expected to apply with a confirmed list of speakers (at 90%). If speakers are not confirmed, the application will not be reviewed.
- The selected speakers should fully cover the proposed topic.
- For meetings held in EMBC Member States (see list on page 3 of the application guidelines): at least 50% of the invited speakers should be working across a variety of European countries. The inclusion of speakers from Asia-Pacific, Africa and South America is strongly encouraged. The diversity of the speaker list (both within and outside Europe is an important criterion for the selection committee)
- For meetings taking place in Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, India, Japan, Mexico, Republic of Korea, Singapore or Taiwan: at least 33% of the speakers should be from Europe. The inclusion of speakers from Asia-Pacific, Africa and South America is strongly encouraged.
- There should be a balance between leading researchers in the field and early-career researchers (maximally 7 years of independence) as speakers. Applications with a higher proportion of early-stage researchers will be viewed positively by the committee.
- At least 40% of the speakers should be from the underrepresented gender.
- While EMBO specifies certain targets of gender and geographic participation to promote inclusiveness and diversity in EMBO Courses and Workshops, we ask organisers to enable diversity across the spectrum, thus ensuring that EMBO Courses and Workshops are a safe, inclusive and welcoming learning space for all speakers and participants regardless of individual beliefs or characteristics.
- Sufficient time should be dedicated to poster sessions and informal interactions.
- The group of organizers must be scientifically, geographically and gender diverse.
- The location must be suitable for the planned meeting.
For a detailed list of selection criteria please refer to the application guidelines.
- All applications are screened by the EMBO Courses & Workshops Office to ensure eligibility requirements are met.
- Each application is assigned to and reviewed in depth by at least two members of the EMBO Course Committee.
- The final decision on which proposals receive funding is made by the entire committee at meetings in May and October. The success rate of applications is approximately 50%.
- All applicants are informed of the outcome of their application by email shortly after the committee meeting.
- Please note that committee decisions are final and cannot be appealed.