India | EMBO Lecture Courses teach participants, primarily PhD students and postdocs, by providing them with background in relevant and timely scientific topics. Underlying concepts of a particular field should be made accessible to participants with varying scientific backgrounds. In addition, the following aspects are considered by the EMBO Course Committee:
- The programme should feature interesting and original topics, or a combination of topics, in breadth and depth.
- The selected speakers should fully cover the proposed topic.
- At least 40% of the speakers should be based in Europe.
- There should be a balance between leading researchers in the field and early-career researchers as speakers.
- Neither men nor women should represent more than 60% of the speakers and there should be a geographic balance.
- Speakers should be mostly confirmed at the time of the application.
- Sufficient time should be dedicated to poster sessions, discussion groups, journal clubs, and informal activities.
- The group of organizers must be an international and gender diverse group of scientists. At least one of the organisers must be based outside India.
- The location must be suitable for the planned meeting and easy to reach. Participants and speakers should be accommodated in the same location or in a limited number of locations.
For detailed information on the selection criteria, please consult the application guidelines.
The selection process involves the following steps:
- All applications are screened by the EMBO Office to ensure eligibility requirements are met.
- Each application is assigned to and reviewed in depth by at least two members of the EMBO Course Committee.
- Final funding decisions are made by the entire committee in April/May and September/October each year.
- All applicants are informed of the outcome of their application by email shortly after the committee meeting.