EMBO is looking to fund cutting edge courses that provide high quality training to scientists. In addition, the following aspects are considered by the EMBO Course Committee:
- The topic/techniques presented must be cutting edge and the course should cover a relatively broad range.
- The selected instructors should cover the topic in sufficient depth and breadth and be experts in the topic.
- The ratio of instructors to students should be appropriate to allow all participants to receive good tutoring on the topic/techniques presented.
- Participation of instructors should be confirmed.
- Sufficient time should be dedicated for networking (joint meals, coffee breaks and group discussions) and for participants’ presentations of their work
- The equipment and materials should be state-of-the-art and appropriate to the topic.
- Instructors and students should be housed together if possible.
For a detailed list of selection criteria, refer to the application guidelines.
The selection process involves the following steps:
- All applications are screened by the EMBO Courses & Workshops Office to ensure eligibility requirements are met.
- Each application is assigned to and reviewed in depth by at least two members of the EMBO Course Committee.
- The final decision on which proposals receive funding is made by the entire committee at meetings in May and October. The success rate of applications is approximately 50%.
- All applicants are informed of the outcome of their application by email shortly after the committee meeting.