Applications to the EMBO Young Investigator Programme are accepted annually in a two-stage process and must be submitted through an online system.
- The deadline for pre-applications is 1 April 2021, 12:00 CEST.
- The Young Investigator Committee invites selected candidates to submit a full application and attend an interview.
- The deadline for full applications is 20 July 2021, 12:00 CEST.
- All invited candidates will be interviewed by the Young Investigator Committee on 9 or 10 November 2021.
- The final selection will be made at the Young Investigator Committee meeting.
- All applicants will be informed of the outcome of their application by email.
The complete application for the Young Investigator Programme consists of:
- Synopsis of past work
- Outline of the planned research project
- Short summary of research
- Publication list and list of three best papers
- Three letters of reference
- List of grants and pending grant applications
Applicants must not indicate the journal impact factor or any other metrics such as H-index, number of citations etc, in their application. EMBO is a signatory of the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment ( DORA ), which recommends “not to use journal-based metrics, such as Journal Impact Factors, as a surrogate measure of the quality of individual research articles, to assess an individual scientist’s contributions, or in hiring, promotion, or funding decisions”.
For detailed information on the application process, key dates and required documentation, please consult the application guidelines (pdf).