- Have been group leaders of a laboratory for at least one year and for less than six years on 1 January in the year of the application*
- Have an excellent track record
- Perform life science research in an EMBC Associate Member State (currently India and Singapore) or in a country or territory covered by a cooperation agreement with EMBC (currently Chile and Taiwan)
- Have published at least one senior author research paper in an international peer-reviewed journal from independent work carried out in their laboratory
- Have obtained sufficient funding to run their laboratory
- Not have applied to the programme more than once in previous years
- Be able to attend a virtual interview on 23 November 2022.
*Extended eligibility period may apply under exceptional circumstances or for candidates with children. For detailed information on the eligibility criteria, please consult the application guidelines.