- Applicants must be active researchers at any stage in their career with a minimum of one year of research experience at the PhD student level, or equivalent at the time of application.
- EMBO Scientific Exchange Grants are awarded for research exchanges between laboratories in EMBC Member States, Associated Member States or Cooperation Partners. The grants are not awarded for exchanges between two laboratories within the same country.
- Only in exceptional cases can the grants be awarded for research visits outside the countries listed above. For such cases, it is essential that a justification be provided why there is no appropriate expertise or technology in EMBC Member States, Associated Member States or Cooperation Partners.
- Applications from outside EMBC Member States, Associated Member States or Cooperation Partners will not be considered.
- Applications for the exclusive purpose of training in a technique rather than as a component of a wider research project will not be considered for funding.
- EMBO does not consider applications to prolong visits begun under other auspices, or as bridging grant between, or prior to, long-term stays funded by EMBO or other organisations.
- Applications to work with former colleagues, PhD or postdoc supervisors or to work in laboratories previously visited will not be considered.
- Applications to visit laboratories in the context of an already existing long-term collaboration or involving previous exchanges of scientists will not be considered.
- Applications for grants to attend courses, workshops, or symposia will not be considered. Similarly, EMBO Scientific Grants do not provide additional funding for courses, conference travel, bench fees, overheads or any other expenses beyond travel costs between the laboratories involved and the subsistence rates depending on the country visited.
- Upon completion of the fellowship applicants are required to immediately return to their home laboratory where they must remain for for at least six consecutive months. A signed letter in English from the home institution after this period is required as proof.
- For other eligibility criteria, please read the Scientific Exchange Grant guidelines.
Scientific Exchange Grants
Supporting international collaborations, enabling transfer of expertise
Applications accepted throughout the year