- The applicant must be an active research scientist or technician working in a core research facility with at least one year of laboratory experience. There is no age limit.
- EMBO Core Facility Fellowships are awarded for training exchanges between institutions in EMBC Member States, Associate Member States or Cooperation Partners. EMBO Core Facility Fellowships are not awarded for exchanges between two institutions within the same country.
- Applications from or to countries other than EMBC Member States, Associate Member States or Cooperation Partners will not be considered.
- Exceptionally, EMBO will consider applications involving institutions (home or host) in Japan throughout 2022.
- The host must be a core research facility. Only in exceptional cases will the EMBO Core Facility Fellowship be awarded to visit a research laboratory or for-profit industrial research laboratory (i.e. expertise is not available anywhere else).
- Applications to develop projects by means of using technology not available at the home institution will not be considered. The purpose of EMBO Core Facility Fellowships is the transfer and implementation of technology and expertise. Training in the use of technology not available at the home institution will only be considered if the purpose of the visit is precisely the implementation of that technology in the near future, and it is advisable to apply once the new technology is already available.
- Applications to visit core facilities in the context of an existing long-term collaboration or involving previous exchanges of personnel are not considered.
- EMBO does not consider applications for EMBO Core Facility Fellowships to extend visits begun under other schemes, or as bridging fellowships between or prior to longer term stays funded by EMBO or other organizations.
- Applications for fellowships to attend courses, workshops, or symposia will not be considered. Similarly, EMBO Core Facility Fellowships do not provide additional funding for bench fees, overheads or any other expenses beyond travel costs between the laboratories involved and a subsistence rate depending on the country visited.
Core Facility Fellowships
Supporting training for staff of core facilities, funding international exchanges
Applications accepted throughout the year