Short-Term Fellowships fund research exchanges of up to three months between laboratories in eligible countries. The aim is to facilitate valuable collaborations with research groups applying techniques that are unavailable in the applicant's laboratory. Short-Term Fellowships are not awarded for exchanges between two laboratories within the same country. Short-Term Fellowships are intended for joint research work rather than consultations. The fellowships cover travel plus subsistence of the fellow only and not of dependents.
- Applicants must be active researchers at any stage in their career with a minimum of one year of research experience at the PhD-student level.
- EMBO Short-Term Fellowships are awarded for research exchanges between laboratories in EMBC Member States, Associated Member States or Cooperation Partners. EMBO Short-Term Fellowships are not awarded for exchanges between two laboratories within the same country.
- During 2017, applications for research exchanges involving Chile and one of the EMBC Member Sates or Cooperation Partners will exceptionally be considered.
- Only in exceptional cases will EMBO Short-Term fellowships be awarded for research visits outside the countries listed above. For such cases, it is essential that a justification be provided why there is no appropriate expertise or technology in EMBC Member States, Associated Member States or Cooperation Partners.
- Applications from outside EMBC Member States, Associated Member States or Cooperation Partners will not be considered.
- Applications for the exclusive purpose of training in a technique rather than as a component of a wider research project, will not be considered for funding.
- EMBO does not consider applications for Short-Term Fellowships to prolong visits begun under other auspices, or as bridging fellowships between, or prior to, long term stays funded by EMBO or other organizations.
- Applications for fellowships to attend courses, workshops, or symposia will not be considered.
There is no deadline for applications, however it is recommended to apply three months before the proposed starting date. Applications received or completed only after the start of the visit will not be considered.
The application process is handled via the online application system.
Applications and supporting documentation (two references, receiving institute acceptance) are only accepted via the online application system.
Please read the Short-Term Fellowships guidelines for applicants before applying online.
All applications are examined at the EMBO Fellowship Office to ensure that they are complete and eligible. Receipt of complete applications will be acknowledged via email.
Applications are judged on the following criteria:
- CV of the candidate, and in particular research experience.
- Quality of the project to be developed in the host laboratory (novelty, feasibility).
- The suitability of the host laboratory for the proposed work.
- Value of the exchange for the laboratories involved (collaboration, co-publication).
As soon as a decision is reached, normally within three to four months from submission of a complete application, applicants are informed promptly.
Duration of support
Short-Term Fellowships are intended for visits of 1 week (7 days) up to 3 months (90 days).
Travel costs and stipend
The fellowships contribute towards travel costs and subsistence of the fellow but not of any dependents. The subsistence rate depends on the country being visited.
End of fellowship report
Please note that you need to indicate your ASTF number and your current address on your final report.
The final report must be submitted to the fellowship office within 3 months of completing the research visit. The report should be about two pages, and should summarize the results as well as possible plans for further work to be undertaken. It may include diagrams, charts or illustrations. Upon receipt of the final report, the EMBO office will send a certificate stating the start date and duration of the fellowship, the place the place where it was held, the ASTF number and the title of the project developed.
Applicants must provide a letter signed by their home institution certifying that they have returned to work there for at least 6 months after the completion of the EMBO Short-Term Fellowship.
Applications accepted throughout the year
David del Álamo Rodríguez
T. + 49 6221 8891 122
Long-Term & Advanced Fellowships Administrator
T. + 49 6221 8891 561
Short-Term Fellowships Administrator
T. + 49 6221 8891 409
Finance & Fellowships Administrator
T. + 49 6221 8891 107
T. + 49 6221 8891 551