Access EMBO logo files and images for use online and in print.
The EMBO anniversary logo:
EMBO programme logos for EMBO community:
The EMBO logo:
EMBO Courses & Workshops stamps:
Reports & Brochures
EMBO provides the following reports and brochures to inform the life science community about its activities. Further news and information is available in EMBOencounters, our newsletter, and in our press releases.
Read about the EMBO vision for a thriving life science research community in Europe. See what some leading researchers have to say about what it takes to do the best science and the roles of EMBO programmes, activities and publications in enabling the best science.
Annual facts & figures
Interested in the number of fellowships granted last year? To whom were they awarded? What countries are the awardees from; to where are they moving for their research? Find all the statistics for all programmes, activities and publications in the annual EMBO Facts & Figures booklet.
Find out who our EMBO Members are. Download a PDF booklet that lists all members sorted by alphabet, by country of residence, and by subject area. For more detailed information, request a printed copy of the EMBO Membership List.
EMBO Membership Pocket Guide 2012 (PDF)
Request a printed copy
EMBO in the news
Our press coverage contains a selection of recent articles mentioning EMBO and speakers at The EMBO Meeting:
From targeted to multitargeted cancer treatments
EMBO Member Alexander Levitzki provides an overview of the evolution of targeted cancer therapeutics.
EMBO Press launches
More than 230 guests attended the launch of EMBO Press that was held concurrently with the American Society of Cell Biology meeting on 15 December 2013.
Life sciences in India
The past twenty years have seen tremendous changes in the life science sector in India. Read about some of the initiatives that have made a difference and what remains to be done to strengthen the life sciences in India.
Olivier Voinnet, Professor and Chair of RNA Biology at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zürich, discusses RNA silencing and a new antiviral response discovered in mammals.
Announcing EMBO Press
On December 15, EMBO will launch a new, editorially independent platform for the development of EMBO scientific publications.
Science live for Russian high-school students
A two-week summer school in Russia, which was organized by EMBO Young Investigator Fyodor Kondrashov, proved to be a life-changing event for some of the eighty high-school students in attendance.
The next EMBOencounters issue – Winter 2014 – will be dispatched in February 2014.
Please send your suggestions, contributions and news, to
by 10 January 2014.
The limits of privacy
Bartha Knoppers discusses the privacy of health information in the digital age. Read more
Life sciences in Portugal
Science in Portugal benefits from generous private donations but needs to provide long-term stability for individual researchers.
Inside scientific publishing
Maria Leptin, Director of EMBO, discusses the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment and some of the concerns about Journal Impact Factors.
Tom Cech, EMBO Associate Member and Director of the University of Colorado BioFrontiers Institute, shares his views on science in Europe and describes some recent personal encounters.
The next EMBOencounters issue – Autumn 2013 – will be dispatched in October 2013.
Please send your suggestions, contributions and news, to
by 16 September 2013.
An insatiable curiosity
Cédric Blanpain talks to EMBOencounters about his research and recent highlights in the study of stem cells and cancer. Read more
Under one roof
The newly founded Berlin Institute of Health is poised to be one of the leading institutes for health research in Europe.
EMBO to celebrate 50th anniversary in 2014
2014 is the 50th anniversary of EMBO and a full programme of events and activities are planned throughout the year. Read more
Institute of Functional Genomics, Lyon, moves to new building
Researchers at The Institute of Functional Genomics in Lyon, France, moved into a new state-of-the-art building in October 2012.
The next EMBOencounters issue – Summer 2013 – will be dispatched in July 2013.
- Inside scientific publishing – Scooping protection and rapid publication
- From the cell cycle to the evolution of life
- Founder and President of Beijing Genomics Institute visits EMBO
- IFOM expanding into Asia
- European Research Institute for the Biology of Ageing off to a flying start
- The stars of biomedicine
- Life would be impossible without membranes
- The EMBO Meeting 2012
- The humble artistry of the experiment
- Investigating pathogens at the Institute for Molecular Infection Biology
- News from EMBO scientific publications
- Happy Birthday Dr. Appleyard
- John Gurdon and Shinya Yamanaka awarded Nobel Prize
- EMBO Events 2013
- EMBO Fellows' Meeting
- Young Scientists' Forum 2012 held in Istanbul
- EMBO Poster Prize winners - Congratulations to the winners of competitions held at recent EMBO events
- Awards of Excellence | A good read | Appointments | Transitions
The next EMBOencounters issue – Winter 2012/2013 – will be dispatched in February 2013. Please send your suggestions, contributions and news, to communications @ embo.org by 11 January 2013.
Managing Editor: Barry Whyte
Editor: Yvonne Kaul
Proof reading: Meryl Schneider
Print layout: Uta Mackensen
Web version: Aditya Kusuma Jati
E-newsletter: Sandra Krahl, Katja Linssen
- Issue 21: Summer 2012
- Issue 20: Winter 2011/12
- Issue 19: Autumn 2011
- Issue 18: Summer 2011
- Issue 17: Winter 2010/11
- Issue 16: Autumn 2010
- Issue 15: Spring 2010
- Issue 14: Winter 2009
- Issue 13: Summer 2009
- Issue 12: Spring 2009
- Issue 11: Winter 2008
- Issue 10: Spring 2008
- Issue 9: Winter 2007
- Issue 8: Spring 2007
- Issue 7: Winter 2006
- Issue 6: Summer 2006
- Issue 5: Winter 05/06
- Issue 4: Autumn 2005
- Issue 3: Summer 2005
- Issue 2: Winter 2005
- Issue 1: Autumn 2004
Videos & podcast
How the brain computes space
The beginning of his scientific career
Recent discoveries in ageing research
|Successful job applications: Five tips on how to boost your career|
|How to present your research - five tips to boost your career|
- The Lancet talks to Maria Leptin about a petition to save scientific funding in Europe
[2 November 2012]
- Meghna Sachdev from Science magazine talks to Maria Leptin about 'open access' in scientific publishing
There are many ways to learn about the latest EMBO news. Our news centre contains press releases, publications and recent press coverage mentioning EMBO.
- EMBO press releases: Between ten and twelve announcements are distributed each year to more than 2,000 members of the media, highlighting annual elections to our community, awards and other news.
- EMBO research news: Press releases describing either research highlights published in EMBO journals or work published in other publications by the EMBO scientific community.
- Newsletter - EMBOencounters: Three times a year, our newsletter EMBOencounters provides up-to-date information on EMBO activities and news from the community. Available online and in print, it is mailed to approximately 2,000 individuals in the EMBO community and emailed to more than 20,000 subscribers.
- EMBO in the News: Read what journalists around the world write about our organization.
- Videos & podcasts: Listen to EMBO podcasts and watch latest interviews with EMBO Members and speakers from The EMBO Meeting.
- Reports & brochures: View and download our image brochure and annual facts & figures.
- Logos: Access EMBO logo files in different formats for use online and in print.
The news centre is a service for journalists. We will reply to all media enquiries quickly and directly.