EMBO-EMBL Anniversary Science and Policy Meeting
Wednesday 2 July and Thursday 3 July 2014
Location: EMBL Advanced Training Centre, Heidelberg, Germany
2014 is the 50th anniversary of EMBO, the 45th anniversary of The European Molecular Biology Conference, the inter-governmental organization that supports EMBO and which promotes molecular biology in the European Union and neighbouring countries, and the 40th anniversary of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory. The meeting will recognize the contributions of EMBO, EMBC and EMBL to the advancement of molecular biology in Europe.
The first part of the meeting, which will take place from 3-6 pm on Wednesday 2 July, is focused on science, policy and politics.
Speakers Wednesday 2 July
- Robert-Jan Smits, Director-General, DG Research and Innovation, European Commission
- Marja Makarow, Vice President for Research of the Academy of Finland
- Ada Yonath, Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel
- Elizabeth Murchison, King's College, Cambridge, United Kingdom
- Toivo Maimets, President, European Molecular Biology Conference and Director, Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of Tartu, Estonia
- Claudio Sunkel, Chair EMBL Council and Director, Institute for Molecular and Cell Biology, Porto, Portugal
The second part of the meeting, which will take place from 9 am to 3 pm on Thursday 3 July, is dedicated to science policy. The final programme for the EMBO-EMBL Anniversary Science and Policy Meeting will be made available from this web site early in 2014.
Speakers Thursday 3 July
- Bruno Strasser, University of Geneva, Switzerland
- Marc Heppener, European Space Agency, Paris, France
- Helga Nowotny, ETH Zürich, Switzerland